Monday, April 15, 2013

Relative Size of Proteins, Nanoparticles, Antibodies, Peptides, and Drugs

Needing to know the relative size of these elements in biochemical systems often comes up in my research, so I've decided to write them.


Component Size [nm] Reference
Gold Nanoparticle ~20 Can vary, most common is 20. Frens (1973)
Iron Oxide Nanoparticle 5-15 Can be much larger with emulsion methods. This size is most common when magentic properties are desired. Called partial reduction coprecipitation method.
Antibody 15.5 x 11 PDB: 1igt measured in VMD
Human Serum Albumin 7.6 x 7 PDB: 1e7i measured in VMD
10 Amino Acid Peptide ~1.5 (coiled globule sphere) Paper I wrote on Peptide Conformations
Salicylic Acid (drug) 0.6 x 0.5 PubChem structure measured in VMD

1 comment:

  1. This is great! Thank you for posting this. I am going to try making my own mock up in blender for some other Nano particles we are working with!

    ReplyDelete